Deathwing destroys stuff. The end. You can watch if here if you haven't yet.
- It's very well rendered.
- Seeing zones you know and love getting torn apart at the flap of a wing tugs at the heart strings. Personally I felt the biggest pangs when Auberdine got swept away (a major site of wonder for newbish me back in the day) and when that zeppelin crashed in Orgrimmar.
- Deathwing looks fucking scary.
- Lore confusion. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wondered about those metal plates and battering rams. I vaguely recall from Day of the Dragon that Deathwing chose to have his skin "reinforced" ages ago, but what's this all about now? And he doesn't seem at all happy about it either... I don't know, I can probably read up on this on WoWWiki, but for a character-centric trailer it really leaves us kind of in the dark about Deathwing. He's a huge scary dragon and...? Whatever you thought of the WOTLK trailer, if nothing else it gave you a solid introduction to Arthas, even if you knew little about him before.
- Where are all the people? Seeing all those iconic locations, but completely empty, felt weird. I didn't expect Blizzard to animate huge crowds (as someone pointed out elsewhere, that might have ended up being too costly), but... anything at all? There's usually a guard at that guard tower in the Barrens. And nobody is even near the zeppelin? When does that ever happen? Where are the muted screams of terror as Deathwing descends upon Stormwind? The emptiness of the world kind of takes away from the emotional impact listed under "pros".
- The voice acting and lines are so-so. This expansion has completely spoiled me for baddies grumbling in a deep voice, as we've heard way too many of those in the last two years.
- Deathwing looks fucking scary. Wait, didn't I mention that under pros already? The thing is... he's almost too scary. Looking at that cinematic, I don't want to go out and challenge him, I want to find somewhere to hide. How can we ever hope to defeat an aspect of nature, a monster that can tear entire continents asunder, with a raid of ten? At a guess, Deathwing will end up like Arthas, where in the end we're all just pawns and some important NPC will do all the real work, making us feel useless. Boy, am I already looking forward to that...
I think it's a solid trailer all in all, but if I compare it to all the previous cinematics it's actually my least favourite. The original WoW cinematic was all about pulling you into the world, showing you all the awesome roles you could take on and places you could go. The BC trailer followed a similar pattern by showing you the new races in action, but also bringing in a bit of lore by adding some information about the major villain of the expansion, if not much. WOTLK decided to ditch the player involvement entirely and focus purely on telling the story of this expansion pack, but at least it did this very well.
The Cataclysm trailer... feels to me like they were trying to backpedal a little bit compared to the Arthas trailer but missed the mark somewhat, which means that we didn't get a comprehensive intro for Deathwing or enough character action to make us feel more involved as players.
That said, it's still fun to watch and I'm still excited about the expansion.
Buff Spells and Abilities
13 hours ago