14/08/2016

The Opening of the Gates

In a strange juxtaposition of retro gaming and modern social media, I found out that the Ahn'Qiraj war effort on Kronos had been completed because a message from Kronos' official Facebook page about it showed up on my Facebook feed. It stated that there was going to be a delay of five days before the grand opening of the gates, to allow the armies to get into position. I have no idea whether that's true to the original Vanilla experience, but it was certainly convenient to have the whole event moved to a weekend, when I'd actually have a chance to poke my head in to see what was happening.

On Saturday evening I then saw another post stating that the event had started, though the gates to the raid weren't supposed to open until Sunday. I logged right in, having already parked my paladin at Cenarion Hold the day before.

Silithus was the busiest I've ever seen it in any iteration of the game, and I excitedly started to ride south, passing an awe-inspiringly huge NPC army in the process. Then I saw my first Anubisath! I stopped to take a screenshot... and a few seconds later I was dead, killed by Horde. Oh right, PvP server.

I released my spirit and watched the continuous stream of Alliance ghosts running back to their bodies for a few seconds, then logged out. My plan to "witness" the event, maybe even record it on video or something, was clearly futile under the circumstances, and I had so many more fun things to do that evening than let myself get ganked over and over again.

But you know... well done, guys.

(Tekai once again has a more informative post about what's been happening.)

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I used to occasionally forget about PvP server stuff back in the days on Stormscale.

    Then I'd get ganked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They didn't delay the opening on live. On Crushridge it happened at like 10pm PST during the week and there were so many people there that the server was stuttering like crazy. After a couple of incoherent hours I went to bed certain that I had no idea what had just happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for confirming that! It's kind of what I suspected, but since I wasn't paying attention to those things during my own Vanilla days I wasn't sure.

      Delete