09/06/2020

Night Elf Hunters Everywhere

A few weeks ago my night elf hunter had just landed in Searing Gorge and was about to go off in search of some incendosaurs when a call in general chat caught my attention: Someone was looking for exactly one more for the quest Overseer Maltorius, which I knew to be a pretty tough group quest. The request for exactly one more struck me as slightly odd because it seemed to imply that they already had four people, and surely that was enough to take him down, pretty tough or not?
Never one to pass up an opportunity for easy group content completion however, I asked for an invite and soon found myself partied up with two other night elf hunters, who were both dead, causing me to deduce that they had tried to take him on with the two of them and failed. I guess they figured that just one more person was going to be enough to tip the scales and that "LF1M" sounded more enticing than a generic "LFM".
After reviving near the boss, they partially fought their way back out to meet me on my way in. We felt pretty powerful: Three hunters with their pets is almost like six players! We hatched a plan to use ice traps and our pets to distract all the adds and nuke down the boss. We executed it pretty well too, but unfortunately it wasn't a good plan: the boss had so much health that he was still far from dead when our traps ran out and our pets died, resulting in another wipe.
After we had revived ourselves and all our pets, we decided to take the weakest of the adds on first on the next try. I think the boss then ran into one of our traps kind of by accident so that we ended up killing all the adds first... and suddenly we were able to finish the whole thing smooth as butter, with nobody dying at all.
We then proceeded to run out of the area and kill other mobs around Searing Gorge for other quests for a bit before saying our goodbyes. Hunters for the win!
The other night I had another amusing encounter of a similar kind. Having just landed in Un'goro I saw someone call out for help with "the elite elemental quest". I asked if they meant It's Dangerous to Go Alone and they replied in the affirmative. I threw them a group invite... and they were dead by the elemental's cave. I couldn't resist joking: "I take it you tried to go alone?"
Once again it was another night elf hunter with a cat. In fact, she couldn't help comment on how similar we looked: not twins exactly, but we were both girls with green-ish braids and wearing several pieces of identical gear. Together we managed to make short work of Blazerunner - though my newfound friend managed to die again in the process - and after she'd revived I took a quick picture of us together before once again saying my goodbyes.
It's funny to me that there seems to be a theme here of all the soloers levelling nelf hunters and then coming together to help each other with the elite quests. Classic can be quite peculiar that way.

2 comments:

  1. I have a guildie who swears by her stable of hunters in WoW Classic. She uses them to make money, gather mats and random drops. She's levelled several now, as questing and grinding mobs is good for money making - and unlike other classes, at least according to her, the grindier kill quests and all those rare quest item drop quests are easy to complete on a hunter by going all Everquest 1 and sitting letting the pet slaughter the local wildlife for a while. She makes all of them engineers to make ammo on demand and only trains basic skills to avoid wasting money on stuff she doesn't use. Apparently she can take on 'red' mobs or several 'yellow' elites at a time. I guess she's had the practice at kiting and keeping her pets alive. She's tried other classes and only hunter has this solo power in her view (though she prefers to play rogue in dungeons)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hunter's solo powers are definitely impressive, but more than anything I find the play style just very relaxing. I'm not letting the pet do all the work (my nelf is a marksman, so her pet's not that strong anyway), but it makes for a very chill grinding experience to just send the pet in and then simply let auto-shot do most of the heavy lifting.

      Delete