12/06/2022

My Experience on a US Server

I mentioned as a side note in a post from January that I had somehow managed to create a free trial account for the US servers by accident. Despite the fact that I never even logged into it, my Battle.net launcher annoyingly keeps defaulting to that account whenever I want to play retail, which is a bit of a nuisance.

The other day I had a bit of a discussion in Redbeard's comments about Chromie Time and how it works, and it made me want to test some things out for myself, specifically in regards to the new player experience. Of course, you can't very well simulate being a new player on an account that's been active for over a decade... which was when I suddenly remembered my empty US trial account. At last, a purpose for it!

I don't really have all the answers to my questions yet, so I won't  talk about Chromie Time or related matters in this post, but just the experience of rolling up new characters on a US retail server was interesting enough that I wanted to write about it.

I started by creating a night elf druid called Shintar on Ysera - I can't believe that nobody else tried to grab that name over there in over a decade, but it was certainly convenient for me! As expected, I didn't have a choice of starting zone but was put into Exile's Reach by default. Classes that have their own starting zones and start at a slightly higher level, such as death knight and demon hunter, were greyed out with a note that they required level ten to unlock.

When my druid loaded onto the Alliance ship where the Exile's Reach experience starts off, I was confused to find another druid standing there, already up to level six, and spamming a single spell over and over. I was initially a bit mystified as to what spell they were even casting... after all, there were no enemies there! Only after a few minutes did I realise that it was Moonfire and hitting the ship's target dummies... which are killable and award XP. The character was just tab-targeting and hitting Moonfire so fast and consistently that I can only guess that it must have been a botted. People do the strangest things.

Anyway, aside from that, the whole thing wasn't very remarkable. As I said in my original post about Exile's Reach, it's a zone that's perfectly serviceable but extremely generic. The only thing that stood out to me was that as a druid, the brief class quest you get about halfway through the zone taught me travel form at level six... but I guess due to homogenisation no class is allowed to go faster than another at that level, so using it actually made me go no faster than night elf or cat form. I could see that being somewhat confusing to genuinely new players...

I also noticed that I was automatically put into a channel specific to new players where people called "guides" would answer questions. I vaguely recall hearing about that system before but I'd honestly forgotten it existed and still don't really know anything about it beyond what I saw. People mostly seemed to use the channel to ask (to me) uninteresting questions like "Which class should I play?" or "How do I link an item in chat?".

As soon as I hit level ten, I logged out and went back to the character creator. All classes were unlocked now, and I was able to choose any starting zone, so I rolled up a human paladin and started her off in Elwynn Forest for comparison purposes.

I'd forgotten what a weird number Cataclysm did on Elwynn, as it actually kept a lot of the vanilla quests more or less intact, but what changes Blizzard did make feel very jarring for old-timers, such as Princess being right next to the quest giver who wants her killed and Goldtooth chilling in a camp outside the Fargodeep Mine instead of inside of it. The changes to Northshire also feel pretty rubbish, what with the oh so threatening "invasion" by lots of neutral mobs. I did note though that Blizzard appeared to have removed the basic "use your abilities on the target dummy" quest I remember appearing after Cata - probably because truly new players for whom this sort of guidance would make some sense all get funnelled into Exile's Reach anyway.

Anyway, I ran about hunting kobolds, murlocs and what not, and it was very noticeable how much less streamlined and efficient this was than the Exile's Reach experience. It's kind of funny to me that I found myself in a world where the Cataclysm content is the one that feels outdated, considering I still always think of the Cataclysm revamp of the old world as the "new" content (compared to how things were in Vanilla).

However, what surprised me was how... comforting it all felt. Redbeard made a post yesterday about briefly logging into retail and going to Goldshire, where he was immediately put off by the crazy mounts. The timing on that was funny to me because my feeling about visiting Goldshire in retail was almost the opposite in this instance. Were there crazy mounts? Probably; I didn't really notice. What I did notice was that there were people out in the town square, chatting, showing off and goofing around, which felt heart-warmingly familiar. There was also a random corpse on the ground, something that represents "typical old-school Goldshire" to me like nothing else.

While I was out questing in Elwynn, local defense went off about the Horde attacking the inn and I had flashbacks to my very first night playing WoW back in 2006, where that exact same thing happened as well.

Another fun moment was when I tore through the murloc village north of the Eastvale Logging Camp - in terms of button presses, retail is of course much more engaging than Vanilla/Classic and characters get more powerful early on, so I was tearing through those murlocs like nobody's business, AoEing and healing myself, which is very unlike the old days... but at one point it did almost seem like I had bitten off more than I could chew, so I was very grateful when a hunter and mage decided to add some damage of their own and probably saved my butt.

I logged into my BC Classic server on EU for comparison and rode down to Goldshire there. All I saw was two levellers passing through, one of whom instantly logged out the moment he entered the inn. People in BC Classic don't "hang out" in Goldshire anymore in my experience. You log on to do the content you want to do and then you log off again. Anecdotal for sure, but food for thought nonetheless.

11 comments:

  1. It was strange that when I started Card 2.0 on Atiesh I saw toons all over Elwynn and Stormwind, but for some reason nobody just hung around Goldshire.

    However, one thing that did occur to me was that the presence of the flight path made "hanging around Goldshire" more feasible, since if you needed to go somewhere you didn't have to ride up to Stormwind first. Also, there's the LFD/LFR automated queues allowing you to do whatever, wherever, so people could hang out where they wanted. Therefore, without an external tether, people were free to hang around Goldshire without making a time commitment. In a way, this is how it should be, where people are free to hang wherever they want, but in reality that freedom also comes with the caveats of the LFD queue and what feels like 40 million flight points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying you're wrong, but for me people hanging out in Goldshire is very much an old-school thing that people did a lot in Vanilla, without a flight path and without LFD - more because there wasn't this pressure to constantly grind something or other, and players were more willing to chill and just chat between activities, instead of min-maxing every minute of their play time. I could see some of that being at play in retail right now too.

      Delete
    2. You could be right about that lingering aftereffect of the "old days" in Retail. I'd also counter with, well, Goldshire's "reputation" courtesy of Moon Guard-US. Until Blizz finally broke up the shenanigans that went on at the Lion's Pride Inn on Moon Guard, it was definitely a.... thing to hang out at.

      I know that personally I wasn't aware of Moon Guard's reputation until my first Horde toons were in their mid-L40s or later, and Soul was mentioning how he --sneaking around on his Rogue-- stumbled across two toons getting it on in Ashenvale when he first started playing back in BC. So it wasn't a large jump from that encounter to hearing about Moon Guard.

      Delete
  2. What fun you were able to cross to a US Server. Goldshire isn't a very active place on the Shadowlands servers I play on anymore, except Proudmoore, which has crowds of people everywhere. You do bring back memories of the early cross realm days on Blackwater Raiders, and being slimed by hordes of Moonguard ERPers. They were just thick there.
    I delete and create new character in the Shadowlands era quite a bit, which is is educational, because they do keep tweaking content. I always wonder why they spend the resources on it rather than on the higher level content. They're crazy about changing low level classic era dungeons too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought cross-realm zones tied all servers together, so shouldn't Goldshire appear similar levels of busy no matter what server you're on? I don't really know. 😅

      I definitely remember Hordies raiding low level zones in my early days with some fondness. I was on a PvE server, so they couldn't really hurt anyone unless they managed to trick you into getting yourself flagged. Them killing NPCs was disruptive, sure, but I also see it as a more innocent time now, where people did that kind of stuff just for fun and didn't feel that they had "better" things to do.

      I'm also always surprised when Blizzard does something with low-level content, but I think it's a good thing and they should do it more. There is so much good content in the game already, and it's what new players will see first. If it doesn't provide a good experience, they're unlikely to stick around.

      Delete
  3. The Cross Realms are clusters. Blackwater Raiders, my favorite, is connected to Shadow Council. Some realms have as many as four realms connected. Moonguard has not been invading Blackwater for a long time. Ha! Disconnected!
    There used to be list of realm groups for dungeons, they seemed to be sorted geographically, but I don't see that list anymore. Perhaps at some point they did in fact make dungeon finder pull from all realms. Interesting.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/11393305/connected-realms-update-820
    Blizzard has gone the extra mile letting you know dungeon finder is only available in "modern WOW"
    "LOOKING FOR DUNGEON OR RAID

    The Looking for Dungeon or Raid group finder (LFD/LFR) is only available in modern World of Warcraft, not in WoW Classic or Burning Crusade Classic."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connected realms are different from cross-realm zones though. Connected realms are effectively server merges in all but name - shared auction houses, guilds etc. Cross-realm zones have been around since MoP and are about dynamically populating low-level zones with people from different servers. There seems to be a lack of clarity around which realms are included in this, but my impression has been that it's most if not all. Also see this forum thread.

      Delete
  4. Your description of that druid moonfiring the target dummies to level is hilarious. Botting target dummies to leveling instead of just doing Exile's Reach seems so appropriate to Retail Wow. ^_^ It's like take the really long way around to avoid doing some some don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super weird! I did a bit of googling to find out what was going on and found some commentary about it being considered "min-max" to level to ten via the dummies and then to eighteen on the island. That doesn't excuse the botting though.

      Delete
    2. "to leveling", "like take", "some some"? Ouch. I meant "for leveling", "like taking" and "something some". I was struggling writing that comment and had lots of revisions. I guess should have done a better job of proofreading. :)

      Delete
    3. My brain just auto-corrected those things while reading anyway!

      Delete