27/10/2022

Roguish Charm

One thing that makes playing my little rogue so appealing is that it feels very fresh and new to me. I've never had a rogue at the level cap at any point in the game, and even the mid-levels are something I didn't reach until later expansions, by which point a lot of quests and class mechanics had already been changed.

For example, I'd kind of forgotten that Ravenholdt was a "thing" for rogues - by which I mean: if you'd asked me about it I would have been able to tell you that it's a faction that's associated with rogues somehow, but it hadn't occurred to me that I should be visiting the place or anything. It was only around level thirty that I noticed that my class trainer had gained an extra dialogue option which hands you a letter telling you to visit Ravenholdt Manor. (Apparently that had already been waiting for me for about six levels.)

It took me ages to even find the place again, because for some reason, that particular mountain path is not one I generally come across in my travels. I happily followed the instruction to pick the pockets of the locals, which resulted in me cleaning out the entirety of Durnholde Keep in one go, but after that the next step asked me to fetch lockboxes of a level for which I was still too low. Not the most exciting piece of questing, I've got to say. Nice place, though.

The other notable adventure my little rogue had in the past few weeks was a visit to the Dor'Danil barrow den. I was finishing up the last few quests I had in Ashenvale when I was sent to this network of caves that I recalled as being a very unpleasant place. In fact, it was even more unpleasant than I remembered because I'd forgotten that it's filled both with mad druids and forsaken rogues - the presence of the latter means that it's actually not so bad to visit as Horde since the rogues at least are friendly, but as Alliance it's just a very claustrophobic place sporting an extremely high density of hostile mobs.

I'm a rogue though, I thought to myself, and the quest is just to kill three guys. I can sneak in and bypass most of the annoying trash! Now, if you're thinking "I bet it wasn't that easy", you'd be right, but my plan did work in principle, and I suffered no deaths. What happened though was that - somewhat to my surprise - it ended up being an extremely immersive and satisfying experience.

I could sneak past a lot of mobs, but the tight corridors - combined with the fact that the undead rogues liked to lurk in stealth themselves sometimes - meant that I still had to do a fair amount of fighting as well, sometimes because I aggroed something by accident, sometimes because I felt I just needed to create a bit of breathing space in a certain spot by removing the mobs from it. This made me feel like a proper assassin, and it felt oddly in-character to view the narrow corridors through my night elf's eyes and imagine her unhappiness at having to kill those poor druids.

The gameplay was also really interesting, because rogues have so many tricks! On most classes, pulling unexpected extra mobs is something that I find very alarming and that often gets me into trouble, but as a rogue it was surprisingly easy to stay collected and calm, even in the confines of a densely populated cave. I just had this mental checklist of steps I could take every time something like that happened (hit evasion, drink health potion, gouge and bandage, vanish if worse comes to worst); it always felt perfectly controlled. You'd have to mess up pretty badly to find yourself in a situation where none of your cooldowns are up.

It's just been surprising to me how much enjoyment I've been getting out of this character, when rogues have always been firmly on my "not interested" list when it comes to WoW's available classes. To be fair, I think in a group context I'd still largely prefer to play almost anything else... but for these occasional solo adventures I've been undertaking, it's been working out surprisingly well.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, that was my most fun aspect of playing a Rogue: getting into places that most other classes could consider over their head. A Rogue's toolkit in Classic was so big I often began running out of bar space to put them. Still, I remember that Barrow Den very fondly, as I took my time and got to where I wanted to go. IIRC, the only time I died in that Den was when a fellow Ally player ran by with a bunch of enemies on his tail, and once he got out of range they turned on me as I was fighting a mob at the time. With that many enemies Vanish did not save me.

    I think that's what is so disheartening about later expacs (such as Mists) where a Rogue's abilities --at least until you get enough gear-- really don't help you in those initial zones because the power creep is just so high. All of the fun part about being a Rogue was eliminated in that initial Mists leveling experience in favor of gear checks and Rogue abilities being moved more toward the PvP realm. It was as if Blizz assumed you'd be coming into that initial Mists zone having raided in Cataclysm or something, and not leveling fresh from scratch (which I did).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point; I'd never really thought about that. If what makes your class's core gameplay fun is based on having a bag of tricks to use in dangerous situations, then things are bound to become a lot more boring when dangerous situations disappear from everyday questing.

      Delete
  2. As a main rogue in all versions of the game, i really like your little story. Your blog is pleasing to read, it shows how much you like the game for what it is. I have been playing Lich King classic since it came out, and i recently took the decision to quit. My rogue is well geared, has all his professions maxed out. The guild i raid with is one of the best i've ever had. But despite all the positive aspects mentionned above, raiding is not fun, the content is too easy. We basically cleared all available raids in one go, and all that matters is parsing. It has become the new fashion. It got me at first, but i realised that parsing and raiding in general was not what i liked the most about world of warcraft. Doing quests, finding hidden easter eggs, exploring new places is the main reason why i've loved the game for so long. reading your blog actually convinced me to try out the new prepatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment! I haven't tried the pre-patch myself yet, I'm kind of waiting for them to release the dragon people... I do hope that Dragonflight will offer a bit of casual new questing fun, but it helps that I'm not too invested in retail so if it's not that great - oh well. 🙂

      Delete