08/08/2023

The Returning Player's Plight

It's strange to think that Classic turns four in less than a month, and even stranger to think that I've also been playing retail again (if casually) for almost three years now. I originally started playing WoW in October 2016 - add three years to that and you're about halfway through Wrath of the Lich King. By that point, the game had had a huge impact on me but was also changing a lot already.

Things are certainly very different now, as the last three years of dabbling in retail haven't felt like a big deal at all. What's also interesting to me is that I still struggle to feel properly at home there, even after three years of refamiliarising myself with it. My returning-to-retail journey has been a long and slow one, from the initial desire to just have a quick look at some new stuff and being confused by everything, to falling into a routine playing with my husband with only moderate enthusiasm for the game itself, to slowly starting to work on some goals of my own. However, even now, with me logging in quite regularly to do my own thing without the husband, just for fun, I remain somewhat detached. Even after three years, I still feel like a "returning" player, perpetually confused by the fact that things aren't the way I remember them.

This probably isn't a problem for the average person, but for me those early years in WoW really made a huge impression on me and shaped my ideas of how a lot of things "should" work. This is very apparent when it comes to classes for example. I don't think it's a coincidence that the classes I've played the most since picking up retail again are monk, demon hunter and evoker - all three of which didn't exist yet when I last played WoW in the past. (Okay, monks technically existed during my stint with Mists of Pandaria, but I never played one so I still knew nothing about them.)

It's much easier for me to accept the way a class works nowadays when I've never known it any other way. With pretty much every other class, there's always that feeling of things being slightly off, as I find myself looking for abilities that are no longer there, keep forgetting to use (to me) new abilities and just generally get confused by things not working as I remember them. It's honestly been surprising to me just how strongly some of those ancient memories are influencing my perceptions, even on classes I barely even played back in the day, such as warrior or warlock.

The world of Azeroth has also changed in a lot of ways that makes it confusing to navigate sometimes. This post from 2020 mentions a lot of them, and while I've gotten a little better at finding my way around, it's still an issue for me three years later. On the day I drafted this I was playing a Horde alt for example and found myself wondering where to find the portal room in Orgrimmar. Can you ask a guard where it is? Nope. I tried to instead ask for directions to a place which I knew would require a portal to get to, which did prompt them to mention its existence, but still with no map marker or directions. As it turns out, I had to ask for one specific location that is accessed via the portal room and that then also prompts the guard to tell you where it is.

Or there's that whole zone phasing thing. I appreciate that Blizzard didn't want to do another Cata and just remove old zones whenever they made major changes to them, which is why they introduced the "bronze dragon phases you between different versions of the zone" mechanic, but it's still sooo opaque. I remember flying to Uldum during the Fire Festival on a level 49 alt, clicking on one of the bonfires, levelling up, and having the zone phase around me, with the fires suddenly disappearing before I could click on the second one. I thought I was lagging out at first! It took several relogs and some googling for me to figure out what was going on, that the game had decided to automatically switch me from Cataclysm Uldum to BfA Uldum the moment I dinged, and that the bonfires only existed in one version but not the other.

It's these kinds of things that make me feel tired and estranged from the game. These aren't fun little secrets to uncover, just messy systems that really make you feel confused about what's going on.

The reason I've been thinking about the "returning player experience" recently is that Blizzard added a "welcome back gift" in the latest patch that can be applied to any character of level 60 or lower that hasn't been logged in for at least 60 days. This is independent of your subscription status, so it also showed up for a bunch of my old alts.

If you do pick the "gear upgrade" option, the character is auto-equipped with a level-appropriate set of gear, four 22-slot bags, and teleported to their capital city. Unless you were in BfA or Shadowlands, you also get the option to fully wipe your quest log. Any old gear, old bags, and anything you had in your inventory appear in your mailbox instead.

I tried this on some old alts just to see what it's like and... I can see it being useful. It's not been that much of an issue for me in WoW personally, but as a general rule, a cluttered inventory can indeed be off-putting when returning to an MMO you haven't played in a long time. I don't like the quest-clearing myself since I do like the way my log helps me remember where I last left off however many years ago, but it's fine since that step is optional.

The free gear is an interesting workaround to deal with the broken level scaling and the way many returning characters will find themselves way too weak to fight anything (I've found out that this hasn't just been a problem for me) but I wonder if it's enough of a band-aid. To use a personal example again, I used the gear boost on a level 10 void elf mage that I had literally just created and never played. The starter gear with which she was originally spawned was replaced by much more powerful items, and as I ran around doing my first few quests, I was effectively one-shotting many mobs. However, as my level increased and I didn't get gear upgrades from quests equally as fast, I quickly started to feel weaker again, taking us back to the same old problem of the triad of levelling, gear acquisition and scaling being somewhat broken for players without heirlooms right now.

It's nice that they're trying to be more welcoming to returning players, but at the same time I feel like this is barely scratching the surface of the kinds of obstacles you're faced with if you skipped a few expansions.

10 comments:

  1. I did the gear upgrade with as many characters as I could. It's worth it just for the bags! The longer you're away from a game, the harder it is to pick up again, I agree. That's where I create or play a lower level character to get a feel once again for the basics of play. Atheren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, pretty much all the characters I've been playing these past three years were created as or after I returned. I'm scared to even think of picking up any character again that I created fifteen years ago. Though I'll admit the welcome back gift has me taking a look at them again at least...

      Delete
  2. I would take the gear upgrade on a couple characters, but because it counts as a boost that presently renders allied races ineligible for unlocking heritage armour...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read about that issue. I assume they'll fix it in good time though.

      Delete
  3. I have to think that Blizz has to finally acknowledge that Retail WoW needs a hard reset, and I don't mean a Cataclysm type reset either. The design decisions of the past make it too hard and too disjointed to reconcile Azeroth (plus Other Places) into a smooth, integrated experience, and there's no way around it. It would take years to smooth out the kinks of the previous expacs and zones, and to be honest, Blizz has sold players on "you have to be on the latest expac and at max level" for so long that they probably don't know how to fix the problems of all the old, abandoned zones and systems to enable a new or a returning player from years away to come in and not feel hopelessly out of place. Maybe it's time for WoW 2.0. The only thing likely keeping Blizz from doing it is that they might lose a significant chunk of what's left of the player base by doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo, you know MMO sequels don't really work. And I don't think it's got to the point of being "unfixable" to be honest. They'd just have to really put their minds to how to improve the situation, and they don't seem to have sufficient interest, or the types of devs in-house to really deal with these sorts of systemic issues with anything beyond short-term band-aids.

      Delete
    2. If there's one thing I do know about businesses, it's that they'll slowly starve something to death by justifying reduced staffing by reduced sales numbers, etc. What ends up happening is that a piece of software will reach the point where the staff doesn't have the capacity to fix the problems that have been festering and the result is that either the company will have to devote a lot of extra resources to fixing the problems or they just pull the plug and put it into maintenance mode. Given the current behavior of shareholder primacy --giving all profits to the shareholders-- it's far too easy for a company to just let things slide along and not upset the applecart, so to speak.

      Delete
  4. Unironically glad to hear someone gets use out of that cursed feature :D

    I had it suggested on a 60 char with 252 gear (which means nearly fully solo-equipped in Shadowlands' last zone, Zereth Mortis) and it gave me a set of 187 greens and replaced my all-32 bags with a set of 22s.

    Sure, I could dig out my old gear but it's wild that the don't at least do a minimal check what you have equipped. In general it looks to be less than a stellar deal if you did ANY quests after dinging 60, even at launch and not in the last patch, looking at my stable of (unloved) 60s alts I see a mix of item levels between 146 and 182, with the majority being 16x and 17x, so it's not nothing but it's not really noticeable when you go on to level in DF.

    Also yes, maybe I am an outlier by virtually not having any sub Level 60s chars left that I am interested in playing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried it on one character, just to see what I got and then swapped in some Heirlooms to see if they were worse or better only to find out they are the exact same stats and ilevel. So, if you have high enough heirlooms, the only thing you get is the 4 bags. Before this they were already offering a free trip to the capital city if you hadn't logged in in 60 days iirc.

    Speaking of which, the Shadowlands-era heirloom set bonuses are interesting, mostly just helping you extend rested bonuses and giving very short buffs on top of that. As long as you can afford to power them up, there's not much point in taking the "boost".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the target audience for this is people who may not be using heirlooms. The last time I bought some was back in Wrath but even then I stopped using them quickly as I didn't find the experience very satisfying. I didn't think they were ever going to be relevant to me again since I viewed them as mainly being about levelling speed, but it seems that nowadays with the level scaling and everything, they are more of a quality of life item to make sure you don't start hitting like a wet noodle once you've gained five levels...

      Delete