11/12/2023

Discovering the Level 25 Dungeon Endgame

I last talked about my priest in Season of Discovery in the context of her hitting level 15 after running Ragefire Chasm once and doing some questing in Silverpine Forest. I didn't want to spend too much time questing in the Barrens - I have no particular love or hate for that zone, but solo questing as a priest can be a bit tedious in general. It's not necessarily inefficient - shield, DoT, wand plus being specced into extra wand damage and spirit tap means that you can keep grinding mobs one by one with almost no downtime; it's just not particularly fun (in my opinion anyway).

At least for me, being a priest is about playing with others and forming a team that's more powerful than the sum of its parts, so I focused on doing the quests in and around the Barrens oases to get all the dungeon quests for Wailing Caverns. I was level 18 and about halfway to 19 by the time I was done with that... those raptor horns, man. Because of how busy it was, I actually found it hard to find many Scytheclaws alive, and a quick check on Wowhead revealed that they share a spawn point with ornery plainstriders, so in the end I just picked a corner with a lot of those birds and went on a killing spree to actually get some raptors to respawn.

With all the quests sitting ready in my log and my bags freed up as much as they were going to get at this level, I opened the LookingForGroup channel, expecting to find a group quickly, considering how many of them were running at all times. However, as is Sod's law, what I found instead was at least three other healers specifically looking for Wailing Caverns groups. I rolled my eyes at how typical that was, but then spotted a tank looking for dps and a healer for Deadmines instead. And I thought, why not? There are no quests for that on Horde side, but it still drops some nice loot, and it would be something different. So I ended up whispering him for an invite and made my way to the zeppelin tower.

On the zepp I actually met up with our tank in person, another shaman like I'd had in RFC. I wistfully recalled the launch of Classic and how I visited the Deadmines on a Horde character for the first time. I remembered getting there by swimming along the coast and was planning to do so again, but when we arrived in Stranglethorn, the shaman set off straight into the jungle, and my inner urge to trust in and follow the tank kicked in, prompting me to follow. Of course, I then saw him get eaten by raptors within less than a minute, which quickly caused me to swerve back to the coastline, but I hadn't counted on just how many crocolisks were lying in wait there, causing me to die quickly too.

However, my spirit then appeared at the graveyard in northern Stranglethorn, and I saw the shaman take res sickness and continue north from there. That actually seemed like a pretty clever idea, so I followed his example. He immediately died again as he got eaten by a panther, but his death allowed me to get past without drawing attention myself, and I actually made it into Duskwood without further incident. From there I just followed the road to Westfall and was lucky enough to not encounter Stitches or any other mobs on the road. The shaman followed a couple of minutes behind.

It took a little while to fully fill the group and get everyone to Moonbrook as we had no summon available, but eventually we were off, with a group of all melee (our shaman tank was supported by a feral druid, a rogue and a dps warrior). They killed everything incredibly quickly, as they were all above level 20 and pretty well geared already. I thought how interesting that was, considering that on a regular server, people usually try to run dungeons at as low a level as they can get away with, to maximise XP and gear rewards before moving on the next thing.

Despite a mess-up on the boat that led to a massive over-pull and two people dying, we finished the dungeon in something like forty minutes. Since we were already there, I was happy to just reset and go again, and so was the rest of the group - with the exception of the warrior, who had to go. He was eventually replaced by a hunter... who was in Orgrimmar, so it took something like another half hour until he was actually able to join us in person.

I tried to make good use of the time at least by doing some herbing and fishing along the coastline. I also learned that the Defias Profiteer on the first floor of the Moonbrook inn is happy to trade with Hordies as well, which was handy for bag-clearing between runs.

We then did the dungeon two more times, which is kind of nuts to me because I usually never chain-run dungeons like that. But it was just going so fast, and it had been such a pain to get there in the first place that it made sense to make the most of it while we were there. I didn't get much XP out of it, probably because of how high-level the damage dealers were, and I only gained about a level from the whole adventure, but I got very lucky with loot, picking up several greens as well as the Emberstone Staff and the Corsair's Overshirt. Those were huge upgrades and I could immediately feel the difference in my mana regen after I equipped them.

I'm now planning to spend most of the rest of my time levelling to 25 in Wailing Caverns and Shadowfang Keep. I know that's perhaps not exactly in the spirit of making discoveries in the outdoor world, but it is in the spirit of being a healing priest, and I can always do more exploring later, once I hit the current level cap of 25 and have geared up a bit.

As an aside, when I said goodbye to my group, I did so without any expectation to see any of them again, because I'm such a slow leveller nowadays, everyone else always gets away from me almost immediately. But one of them said "see you soon in BFD" and it hit me that I actually might see them again, because at least for now, they couldn't out-level me any more than they already had. And that was an oddly nice feeling.

4 comments:

  1. It has been odd to see so many Horde at Deadmines. That's been one of the nice surprises with SoD. One of the not so nice surprises is how easy it is to accidentally pull everything, including Captain Greenskin once you start up the ramps by the ship's sidewheel. At least you can jump on the sidewheel and wait until everything resets.

    A few of us built a pug raid and tried out BFD. For the most part it was pretty fun. Until we hit Keltris and then he decided to be a raid-block for us. If you don't have enough interrupts early on he becomes dispel hell for us healers in phase one. Given how precious mana is in the next phase the fight needs a bit more coordination and/or gearing for the typical pug this early in the Season.

    Still, folks weren't raging or quitting so that's good. It's been really nice for me to see the mainstays of my Wow guild enjoying SoD and playing constantly. Dragonflight didn't hold them long, but I think the slower pace and built-in leveling stops will keep them invested for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the not so nice surprises is how easy it is to accidentally pull everything, including Captain Greenskin once you start up the ramps by the ship's sidewheel. At least you can jump on the sidewheel and wait until everything resets.

      That's exactly what happened to us in that first run, lol. Do you think that's SoD-specific? Because we had no low levels and he doesn't usually come running before you're even up the ramp.

      My more progressed guildies have been going to BFD too and I think they are stuck on Kelris as well. That's all I know about that though. It sounds like despite the low level, BFD is quite a bit harder than a normal Vanilla raid.

      Delete
    2. I think it is SoD-specific. Things feel 'touchier' with mobs. Probably all the new abilities have a larger 'presence' than what we're used to with regular Classic abilities. (I know my homunculi will either sit by my side after the first mob I used them on or all will run off on a rampage to aggro everything in range. Little goobers. ^_^)

      There were some nerfs to the resistance levels of some of the BFD bosses and mobs today. They went from 75 down to 25 resistance, or even to zero for a few. So I think it isn't so much as the mechanics were too hard as the tuning was way out of whack for a level 25 instance. Then again, I'm used to the complexity of retail so these mechanics don't feel that complex. That said, they are definitely more mechanical than most classic fights.

      Delete
  2. "But one of them said "see you soon in BFD" and it hit me that I actually might see them again, because at least for now, they couldn't out-level me any more than they already had. And that was an oddly nice feeling."

    That is what I enjoy he most about this experiment. So much of what the progressive Classic experience comes down to, that "rush rush!, you're being left behind" because all they want is to hit a cap and consume that raiding content. THis helps keep more people together and also gets people into raiding sooner. Reminds me of a Josh Strife Hayes video clip about giving people raiding sooner.

    ReplyDelete