27/07/2022

Looking Back at My Classic BC Experience

With Classic Wrath launching in two months, and Red writing about his conflicted feelings about it considering his experiences in Classic BC, I wanted to jot down a few final thoughts about my (less than a) year of Classic BC as well.

I've been going back and forth about how to approach this topic and structure this post, but in a nutshell I can say that Classic BC has been a big disappointment for me. Don't get me wrong, there were some good things about it, which I shall list first:

However... that's already where it ends. Meanwhile, the following issues marred the experience for me:

  • The switch to the smaller raid sizes changed the general attitude in the guild I was in from one of inclusion (to make up the numbers) to one of exclusion and competitiveness (fighting for raid spots, constantly trying to out-do each other, expressing joy about getting rid of certain players).
  • Increased access to powerful rewards for the solo player and small groups meant that people cared less about the guild as a whole and more about going through their personal checklists on their own time (which usually seemed to mean as fast as possible).
  • While I could still appreciate the quality of the content, I did find it somewhat disillusioning and disappointing to see raids that I remembered as these epic battles in original BC be demoted to a level where they were considered a trivial farm.
  • Players and Blizzard pushing for mega-servers for easier trade and random group-finding destroyed server communities and made it harder to exist in the open world (insane competition for spawns, people increasingly wanting to avoid the opposite faction, rarely seeing the same people around).

For all that, I don't think my opinion about original Burning Crusade being my favourite expansion has changed. It's just that what I remember so fondly about it still had a lot of "Vanilla influences" to it, with the old world not getting nerfed until quite late in the expansion and most players still approaching the content with curiosity and a sense of wonder.

Classic has definitely been ruined for me though, at least the "progressive" version of it (not counting era). I suppose it's still possible to enjoy it if you just stick to yourself and mostly stay away from endgame, or if you have a tight-knit group of friends that creates its own fun, but if you participate in the wider community there is definitely a trend towards rushing and solipsism that's hard to ignore. If you're someone who's planning to do group content in Classic Wrath, I can only wish you good luck.

3 comments:

  1. Players and Blizzard pushing for mega-servers for easier trade and random group-finding destroyed server communities and made it harder to exist in the open world (insane competition for spawns, people increasingly wanting to avoid the opposite faction, rarely seeing the same people around).

    That's another reason why I'm keeping my OG toons on Myzrael-US as long as I can: the lack of competition for resources means the server community won't be destroyed by campers and haters. I've also discovered that if you play on Atiesh-US early in the morning --I did so today as instead of a short nap before getting up to goof off around 9 PM Server Time I ended up sleeping for over six hours and woke up refreshed at 4:30 - 5 AM-- the crowd has thinned enough that you can honestly enjoy yourself out in the world. You can also find pleasant and unrushed groups for dungeons that way too, but I might have simply gotten lucky in my Zul'Farak run.

    But yes, TBC Classic has been tainted by the Classic Community itself, and you could make a big argument that the WoW Classic team was merely responding to the pressure applied to it by the Community. I just wish the Classic team had more backbone to stick to the original timeline for TBC Classic, which would have taken the pressure off, but the bean counters wanted Wrath Classic released in Q3 2022, so.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I prefer to play on US servers from the UK is that for most of the time they're a lot quieter than EU servers would be. The time difference is such that there are always enough people on (In an active mmorpg) to make the place feel lived-in but there's little chance of congestion or over-competition for spawns, nodes etc.

    If you're starting from scratch and don't need to link up with people already playing, I heartily recommend choosing another time zone - unless you plan on raiding. Finding guilds with active players to do group content or even pugging dungeons hasn't usually much of a problem for me when I've wanted to do it but it's been very noticeable when I've seen people stating their regular raid times that they tend to start too late and go on into the early hours. Other than that, though, it's a big improvement over an oversubscribed server in my own time zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting suggestion, but I've only had this problem of the world feeling too crowded quite rarely until Classic - and I do like raiding, so I think it's safer for me to stick to my own time zone. 😊

      Delete