17/07/2022

Exploring Era?

My holiday in June finally broke me out of the habit of at least occasionally logging into BC Classic to fish and use crafting cooldowns. It's been almost a month since I last logged into any of my characters there, and I'm not sure I will log into them again. Whenever the forced transition to Wrath happens, I'm planning to just uninstall that version of the game.

I'm still holding off on finalising things in case there's a sudden turnaround on the subject of BC era servers, but the chances of that happening appear to be vanishingly small at this point. You could argue that I should just move on and forget about it, but I was so in love with Classic when it launched; I just don't want to let go as long as at least a chance remains for me to engage with it in an enjoyable way.

And since I don't want to play Wrath Classic, I've turned my eyes towards the only alternative that remains if BC era doesn't become a thing: Classic era servers. I've previously written about a few adventures I had on there, which were overshadowed by the fact that Classic era Hydraxian Waterlords had virtually no population. This was due to Blizzard deciding to keep it cordoned off from the regular PvE realms, which were all connected once era became a thing. They did offer free transfers off to Pyrewood Village though, which is part of that bigger server cluster.

At some point I decided to take this transfer on my two cloned characters, though I was quickly put off by how badly I had to mangle their names on the new realm. Still, every now and then I would log in, run around Stormwind a bit, check the auction house, and then log off again because I didn't know what to do. Last week I actually managed to muster the energy to run my night elf hunter from Stormwind to Darnassus, but then just ended up logging off there instead. She's already cleared Naxx and effectively "beat the game", what is left for her to do? It's not that I wouldn't repeat content for the sake of being social, but without my guild or any real connections at all, I was just lost.

I had a bit of a think about it and decided that if I wanted to properly get to know the way Classic era works and familiarise myself with its community, the best way to do this would be to start a character from scratch. You can still only have ten characters per server in era, but since the PvE cluster effectively merges several servers into one, I have near endless space to add to my roster on any of the other servers that are part of this same group. So I went ahead and created a night elf rogue on Mirage Raceway.

I'm not entirely sure why I went with rogue; it's not a class I've ever liked and I hope I'm not subconsciously sabotaging my own project here, but I didn't want to create another character of a class I already had, so there weren't a lot of options there. I also figured that rogues are pretty independent with their stealth and all, which should serve me well if I find myself soloing a lot.

I was definitely interested in interacting with other players if possible though, so I joined the LookingForGroup channel at level one, just to get the lay of the land so to speak - and promptly found myself double-checking after a few minutes that I'd typed it correctly because there was no conversation going on at all. At all. Throughout my first evening of questing, I would eventually see three grouping requests pop up: First someone was looking for one or two more for Deadmines (not sure if they found what they were looking for), then someone expressed interest in a group for Uldaman (pretty sure that didn't end up going anywhere), and finally a level 60 tank piped up to say that he fancied a dungeon, which eventually resulted in a group going off to do Undead Strat.

I'm not gonna lie: It was a bit discouraging. People will tell you pretty much anywhere that Classic era is dead, but after all that's happened in the past year, that was actually encouraging to me, not a deterrent. After all, I learned that my preference for smaller servers is the complete opposite of that of many Classic players, and that what looks "dead" to a megaserver player might in fact be just perfect for me. However, three LFG requests over the course of several hours was a bit quiet even by my standards.

I'm not about to give up that quickly, however. I have seen other players around, many of them guilded, which makes me think that the smaller population might have led to people clustering in guilds more strongly than I'm used to, with less pugging going on. And I found it very noticeable that every time I ran past someone, if they were capable of buffing me, they did so. I'd almost forgotten about the value of these drive-by buffs, considering that their importance gradually diminished with the changes to levelling content in BC.

So I'm planning to continue levelling slowly at the original Vanilla pace and see what I learn. Worst case I get to enjoy another tour of the old world by myself, which is what a lot of my early Classic experience was like anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, a Rogue after my own heart! Az would definitely approve.

    The funny thing is, when I started leveling Neve and then Quintalan, those drive-by buffs became a thing again. Ally on Myz were reluctant to do those in TBC Classic, but Horde on Myz definitely were happy to buff people when they saw them out in the wild. Given that I'm now discovering that drive-by buffing is still a thing on Ally side on Atiesh, I'm starting to wonder if the Myz server Ally behavior simply took a turn for the worse with TBC Classic.

    Now that the Ally population on Myz (but not the Horde side, strangely enough) has been decimated, it'll be interesting to see if drive by buffing makes a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up thinking of your rogue soon after I made mine, when I had trouble locating the rogue trainer in Darnassus. I vaguely recalled her being in the Cenarion Enclave but couldn't find her - eventually I asked a guard and they pinpointed the exact location for me. Then I went to google what exactly it was you had written on that subject and found this post again. Good times!

      It's interesting that you're still seeing drive-by buffing in different BC communities. I do think as a general rule the expansion made it less appealing due to the way levelling was nerfed in many ways (so that it didn't quite have the same "every little helps" feeling of struggling to survive).

      Delete
    2. I consider drive-by buffing a common courtesy thing, and now that I think about it the lack of the same on the Ally side in TBC Classic just proved how impersonal the Ally side on Myz had become. Of course I mean in general, because I'd see people doing it out in the wild, and I would as a matter of course in those rare occasions when someone would wander up to Winterspring where Card resided for much of the expac, but still... Just another symptom of the lack of civility that crept into that side on Myz.

      Oh man, I'd forgotten about that post until you mentioned "the Rogue trainer in Darnassus". Oh yes, it took forever to figure that out.

      Delete
    3. It's funny in that I knew exactly where that trainer was. She's such a pain to find that I don't think anyone who had to find her ever forgets where she is located. :)

      Delete