16/01/2020

Champion of the Banshee Queen

I've been visiting Nathanos Blightcaller lately. Similar to how it was quite the throwback to be reminded of Tirion Fordring's humble beginnings as a hermit asking the player for maggot stew, I hadn't really thought about good old Nathanos' original incarnation in a while.

An ugly undead who dual-wields meat cleavers, the vanilla version of Nathanos resides at the Marris Stead in the Eastern Plaguelands, where he used to live while he was still... well, alive. There he collects piles of skulls and plays with his plaguehounds. If you hang around long enough, you can even see him throwing skulls to play fetch with them.

He's also what's probably the most cantankerous quest giver on Horde side - and there's some competition for that spot, mind you - constantly insulting you and calling you names. It's hilarious.

Varimathras himself has requested that I send my most 'capable' agents back to the Undercity for a highly sensitive tactical operation.

Unfortunately, my most capable agents were killed over three years ago. In their stead I have a collection of brain dead riff-raff.

[Nathanos stares coldly at you.]

It may be an old joke, but it's still a classic!

After I dispatched Borelgore for him, he had this to say:

Keep this up and I may have to promote you from imbecile to mental deficient, first class.

He's also a raid boss and the Alliance has a quest to kill him. I've never seen it done, but I can imagine this making for some quite amusing situations. I've also heard that this actually makes him quite popular with Horde players, who delight in seeing hapless Alliance get slaughtered with overwhelming force. I imagine that on PvP servers, the Marris Stead must be a pleasant haven of safety for Hordies.

All this did get me wondering though how we ended up with Nathanos' current incarnation: From what I've surmised from watching YouTube videos of cinematics and the like, he's now a pretty handsome man (as far as undead go) who loves to make puppy-dog eyes at Sylvanas. She in turn seems to flirt with him a lot, though with Sylvanas being Sylvanas, I always get the impression that she just enjoys yanking his chain.

I actually went so far as to consult the Wowpedia entry for Nathanos - which is massive by the way - where I learned that apparently his body was restored in some dark ritual, and that Blizzard decided at some point to give him the backstory (established in written supplementary material) that he and Sylvanas had something like a clandestine affair going on when they were still alive (more or less), which seems to have transcended death. I do hope there's a bit more to the whole thing in game, because I have to admit that setup sounds kind of lame to me.

I'm not against the idea of some Forsaken still experiencing romantic feelings, but I honestly preferred the idea that Nathanos simply admired Sylvanas for her skills and willpower, and that she in turn valued his loyalty and ambition. But hey, I guess men and women can't just be friends... even if they're both undead and evil.

(Interestingly, the change to his character doesn't seem to have been all that popular with the currnet player base either - I was clued in on this by Google suggesting that I add the word "self insert" to my "Nathanos Blightcaller" search, which led me to a massive rant thread.)

5 comments:

  1. All the Windrunner sisters seem to have a thing for human males. There's been any number of speculations as to why, some quite torturous.

    As far as doing the raid, he was a major pain in the ass to deal with. If anyone's health goes up he spawns skeleton adds that need to be dealt with. I think the main tactic became nuking him and holding the dogs. Hopefully he died before your raid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accept Nethanos' new looks in the same way I do Sylvanas' new looks - as I'm sure you recall, her model was originally "generic banshee" instead of Hawt Undead Elf Queen. I seem to recall there was an intermediate stage between the two as well, but it's been a while and not relevant to my interests. Maybe there's some elaborate story about how she got her body back, but I don't recall coming across it.

    I do remember back in Vanilla (and even BC) getting thoroughly pwned by Nethanos. I haven't gotten high enough level in Classic to enjoy the rush though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvanas has always had a body in WoW - she already regained that in Warcraft III after being a banshee for a while from what I understand. Though yes, her original model was just a generic night elf in a black robe, hah! (I posted a picture of it here.)

      I didn't mind her getting sexier over time though - yes, the bare belly is silly, but it always seemed clear to me that she was meant to be highly attractive, even if the implementation was lacking.

      Meanwhile I always pictured old Nathanos as a grumpy old man type, yelling at the kids to get off his lawn, which is... quite different from what he is now.

      Delete
  3. I imagine that on PvP servers, the Marris Stead must be a pleasant haven of safety for Hordies.

    Given what I've heard are the heavy Horde imbalances on PvP servers, I don't think they really need havens of safety. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the cliche, but you know it's going to vary from server to server.

      Delete