29/07/2026

Midnight Profession Goals Achieved!

The other day I was very pleased to finally get this pop-up:

Achievement pop-up for "Working WAY Past Midnight", worth 50 points
For the uninitiated, that's the achievement for raising every primary profession in Midnight to (the max skill level of) 100. (In case you're wondering, this is now my new 7th rarest achievement according to Data for Azeroth.)

On top of that, all my profession alts now have the purple version of all their profession tools and accessories. I actually made a little spreadsheet to keep track of that, and yes, it took a crapload of Abundance runs - but that wasn't a problem for me because I enjoy the Abundance event! In fact, I'd already gathered all the rare materials I needed from that a while ago; the thing holding me back on the last few crafts were other materials and concentration.

In general my attitude to this project was that I wanted to do it all "in house" with my alt army supporting each other and with minimal purchasing of mats or reagents off the auction house. At the same time, I also wanted to avoid crafting crappy or useless items just to skill up, which slowed me down some more as it often meant spending more time and resources on more expensive/harder-to-make items for skill-ups.

In that regard, the easiest crafting profession to level was engineering - I didn't start playing my engineer until quite late, but skilling up was so fast and easy that she soared right past the progress of several of my other crafters in no time. Especially compared to blacksmithing, all the crafts were so much cheaper in terms of mats, and engineers make a ton of profession tools (which were my focus) so she had lots of things to craft that gave multiple skill points each per craft.

Hardest for me personally were probably inscription and jewelcrafting, due to how many steps the mats for my desired items had to go through, with each step requiring use of concentration to get a good result, e g. prospecting ore to get gems, crushing the gems for shards, turning the shards into lenses and so on.

There seem to be certain "break points" with these where you can suddenly get the high quality result by simply using high quality mats - without having to use concentration on top of it - which speeds things up considerably, but I was probably assigning my points badly for those and it took a while to reach them.

Of course that doesn't mean that I'm "done" with professions - there are plenty of knowledge points left to earn in order to fully populate the various spec trees, but I've got to admit that's less interesting to me now, as I no longer have a specific personal goal to work towards, so it's just a matter of more gathering/grinding and fulfilling patron orders that aren't too expensive as and when they pop up.

Still, this was one of my major goals for Midnight, and since professions don't reset seasonally (please Blizzard, I'm not trying to give you ideas), there won't be as much to do on that front as the expansion progresses. Presumably there'll just be a couple of new recipes to collect in 12.1 and 12.2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment