I hoped that merely writing about my current feelings about Classic would be enough to calm that particular itch until BlizzCon, but that hasn't been entirely the case. After mulling things over for a bit, I decided to log into my hardcore priest for a bit, whom I last played over two years ago.
The first thing to note is that I had already played her a bit more back then, by which I mean more than I actually wrote about at the time. I don't recall why I didn't post about it right away, but I did save a screenshot of me being in a group in Wailing Caverns to remind myself that I did in fact end up running it. I don't know why I stopped playing after that, considering that being unable to get a group for Wailing Caverns was the main reason I cited for losing interest at the time, but I guess it doesn't matter now.
What I did capture in the screenshots I saved was that I had a druid tank who wore the Arena Grand Master trinket - an item that requires you to get the treasure from the centre of the Gurubashi arena in Stranglethorn Vale twelve times. That's not something many characters will ever get, never mind a lowbie on a hardcore server - he'd clearly been twinked in some way. I think the dungeon run was pretty quick and smooth as a result - I certainly don't remember anything like the nerves I felt while trying to keep everyone alive in Ragefire Chasm.
But as I said, all that was two years ago already. What did I find upon logging in this time? A very empty Orgrimmar for one thing, which immediately made my heart sink. I did recall that Blizzard had launched a "fresh" hardcore server at some point (completely unnecessarily, in my opinion), and unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the two original servers becoming pretty depopulated. They are not dead by any means... but very quiet. Gone are the days of world buffs dropping on massive crowds in Orgrimmar every day.
While I do see other levellers around, the make-up of the population is... odd. When I did a /who for my level range, the vast majority of characters were hunters, and when I opened the LFG tool, again, I had to scroll past something like ten hunters before I even saw another class looking for a group. I get that they are probably a popular class for hardcore, but just how dominant they are on Nek'rosh now feels abnormal and weird, and doesn't give me much hope for being able to find dungeon groups.
Lonely at the zeppelin
Checking on what I had in my quest log, I had some quests pointing me towards Stonetalon Mountains, which seemed like a fun and safe option to start on at level 22. And it was. I gained about two levels doing various green quests and never really found myself in any danger. The scariest thing I did was solo Besseleth, but even though I was out of mana at the end, the fight never really got too scary.
I also did a bit of work on my professions on the side, picking more flowers, making potions and pausing at various fishing pools. And I'm a bit embarrassed to admit... I may have been affected by primarily spending my time in retail for months now, but I kept thinking that it was all a bit slow and boring. By the third time I was running up and down the full length of Stonetalon on foot with no speed buffs I found myself wishing for a mount. It just felt lonely and I wasn't particularly excited by any of it.
Nonetheless, I pushed on for a little while, mixing it up a bit by also questing in the southern Barrens and Hillsbrad, but I just didn't feel any of the old magic. I guess I can say that I hit level 25, which officially makes this priest more long-lived than Lossy the mage was, having died at level 22, but I don't think I'll keep at it for now. I've had a taste of Classic and at least this particular experience wasn't actually the flavour I was looking for. We'll see what September brings.




No comments:
Post a Comment