01/05/2022

Videos as Scrapbooking

In about one and a half months, it will have been exactly a decade since I was given my first piece of video editing software for my birthday. It wasn't a surprise gift, but one of those "a family member really wants to get me something for a special occasion so I'll have to think of something that vaguely interests me but that I've never really looked into getting myself" things.

A few days later, I uploaded my first public video to my YouTube channel: a three-minute clip compilation of me playing Huttball in SWTOR, set to a K-pop song. Honestly, that is pretty representative of the sort of random nature that my videos have retained since then. (I don't even particularly like K-pop, I'd just stumbled across that one song somewhere and it got stuck in my head. Using it in a video was a way of helping to excise the earworm.)

Throughout those ten years, I'm happy to say that while I've kept uploading semi-regularly (my channel contains over 300 public videos at this point, which averages out to two to three videos a month), I've never felt any real desire to become a professional YouTuber. I continue to be amazed by how many kids apparently find that job aspirational nowadays, considering that it's always looked pretty tedious and unrewarding to me.

The closest I've ever come to trying to make content for a wider audience was when I created a series of videos about levelling a character in SWTOR purely through pugging instances, which was fun for a while but also extremely time-consuming considering that the videos weren't even anything particularly fancy. Plus it made me realise that talking to an invisible assumed audience wasn't really a strength of mine. It did make me relate more to why so many YouTubers have a desire to monetise their work - considering how much time it takes to record and edit videos, it must be a hard hobby to maintain with any sort of frequency while also being bogged down by a day job.

That said, there's something very liberating about not having to worry about monetisation on YouTube. You'll often hear YouTubers complain about their battles with YouTube's copyright detection for example... but I am blissfully carefree in that regard. I use famous songs in my videos all the time and am perfectly fine with the original owner asserting their copyright and claiming the non-existent ad revenue. My videos have less than a hundred views on average anyway, and I always use an ad blocker while watching YouTube. I'm just happy to be able to legally share random vids that use someone else's music with my friends.

The main purpose of my videos over the years has quickly become memory preservation. When I got my first camera at the age of eleven, I used to take photos of everything and diligently sorted them into albums. With everything going digital and more of my life moving online, my focus moved more to taking and saving screenshots of my adventures in MMOs. Videos turned out to be a nice complement to that, in the sense that they are great for preserving memories of events where sound or context matter a lot, such as everyone whooping on voice chat after an exciting boss kill or people having a laugh about someone doing something particularly silly.

When I joined <Order of the Holy Fork> in Classic, it did not take long for me to upload my first video of my adventures with them - the adventure in question being a small raid storming Undercity to steal a quest item for our prospective Scarab Lord while someone played the soundtrack from Apocalypse Now over Discord. I was just laughing so hard throughout the whole thing, I had to preserve it... and I think I knew right then that this guild was a keeper. (It still makes me laugh on re-watching because of the sheer absurdity of it all.)

I soon found myself with plenty more material and ended up making more videos about my adventures with the guild - some random "outtakes" compilations featuring gems such as me accidentally getting a bunch of people killed the second time I went to pick up buffs from a Dire Maul Tribute run. I had fun making them and my guildies loved them too. In fact, I soon had more funny clips than I knew what to do with... I held a lot of them back with a thought to maybe using them in a more specific way later - e.g. I had quite a few recordings of people falling down into the eggs in Upper Blackrock Spire, and had this vision of one day perhaps making a video consisting of nothing but that.

But then... well, Classic Burning Crusade came and things weren't so great anymore. I initially found few opportunities to experience and capture the same kind of fun I used to have. I recall at least one guildie asking me when I was going to finally make a new video... but I just wasn't feeling it. At the same time, the old clips increasingly started to feel like an albatross around my neck - they were like a stack of old photos spread across a table in the corner of the kitchen, something that makes you feel like you should really tidy it away, but at the same time you kind of don't want to look at it.

Remembering the happy times just emphasised the contrast with how much things had changed, and reminded me of people that had left the guild or stopped playing and whom I missed. At the same time, I realised that the longer I waited to do anything with those video recordings, the less likely they were going to be relevant or interesting to those who still remained in the guild. It just added another aspect of sourness to the unhappy feelings I was already having about goings-on in the game.

But well... the guild is gone now. I wasn't playing in a way anymore that was going to add new material to the pile. In fact, I wasn't playing much at all, so I finally found the time and energy to go through with the clean-up throughout the past month. All the OG Classic clips went into a video that I ended up simply calling "Classic WoW Endgame Memories" - most of them are from our time in Naxx, but there were also some much older recordings in there, such as the aforementioned occasions of people falling down in UBRS. I just put all of it together into one video, sorted it a bit and threw it out there.

This weekend, I finally went through the much smaller number of Burning Crusade recordings I had of fun nights in dungeons, and compiled those into a single video as well - again, there was much in there that made me smile:

I think this one is going to be quite relatable to anyone who's done a lot of BC Classic dungeons...

Either way, getting this done has felt very good. Aside from the general good feeling you get from tidying up a bothersome mess, it also gave me a chance to relive many of the happy times I had with the guild and to preserve them in a format that I'm satisfied with. This has provided me with some closure and I feel ready to move on to whatever will come next.

7 comments:

  1. Good. I'm glad it gave you some closure.

    If you don't mind my asking, what software is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I got it ten years ago, it was called Sony Vegas Movie Studio. Since then, the brand has dropped both the Sony and the Vegas, so now it's just called "Movie Studio". I ran with version 11 or something for more than eight years, until it started crashing constantly. At the time I contemplated a switch to a different program, but the ones I tried were so different, I couldn't even figure out the most basic things and it was really discouraging, so we eventually ponied up for Movie Studio 17, and I've been using that ever since.

      Delete
    2. And as soon as I saw "Sony Vegas" my first thought was "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". Not exactly the best name for a software package designed to share things...

      Delete
  2. Hi Shintar, it seems as though your time in Classic might be coming to an end what with Blizz having announced no plans for persisting TBC era servers, and your expressed lack of desire to move on to Wrath Classic when it comes out. Just wanted to leave a note to say I have greatly enjoyed following your adventures in both Classic and TBC Classic over the years! Your blog posts are always highly readable and it's always great to see a new post from you.

    It will be strange playing Wrath Classic when it comes out without reading about your experiences with it here. There aren't too many bloggers out there writing about Classic anymore, and yours was one of the few sites that I would regularly check a couple of times a week for your latest posts. Best wishes for whatever you decide to do in future, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words, Blairos!

      My general attitude is one of "never say never" - I've been feeling down about the game before, and then something happened that reignited my interest and caused me to have fun again. Yet at the same time I don't want to keep going on and on expressing unhappy sentiments in the meantime because I know it sucks when people are like that and I honestly have better things to do with my time too!

      I expect that the next few posts will be about retail, but as long as I remain subscribed, Classic will at least still be there as an option.

      Delete
  3. The Classic era was a blast and genuinely the best time I've had playing an MMO since the early days of WoW and EverQuest. As with any MMO, it's the people rather than the game that brings fond memories and the Forks were (for the most part) a really good bunch and great fun. "Hug the wall, hug the wall" in Blackwing, Itz doing his Ragnaros impression in Molten Core, the endless wipes on the first mob (mob not boss) in the first Naxx raid. Great times. Seems I spent most of the time dead in the AQ Gates opening video that you made :)

    Did the Forks disband when they left our server?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the transfer initially went OK - there was a lot of discussion about it beforehand but we eventually got most people to agree on a common destination and moved to Nethergarde Keep as a group. Initially it even seemed to invigorate the guild a bit - we'd been struggling to recruit during tier five, and NK had a lot more people on it. We got lucky with a nice group of friends that filled our vacancies pretty perfectly and we then went on to kill Vashj and KT before tier six came out.

      Tier six seemed off to a strong start as well, but then literally from one week to the next a whole bunch of people quit or became unavailable, and suddenly we had to cancel raids. Then things spiralled rapidly as NK has a strong pugging scene, so those who wanted to continue raiding quickly found that they could have more success in pugs than in Fork raids, even when they were happening. And the officers all just kind of gave up/decided that they were happy doing other things at the same time.

      Delete