15/11/2023

The State of Classic Era at the End of 2023

As I've mentioned previously, with Classic era being a "static" MMO, the passage of time is mostly defined by the ebb and flow of the player base, plus the arrival of the occasional client update that breaks things. We just had another one of those actually, in preparation for the launch of Season of Discovery at the end of the month. For era this has once again meant a bunch of new bugs and minor changes, such as the in-game map suddenly being much smaller (not sure if that one's intentional or not actually), and enemy cast-bars now being visible in the default UI (with a toggle) so you no longer need an add-on just for those.

Mostly I wanted to talk about how the community is doing, though. I mentioned back in July that the "hype" around Classic era seemed to have died down but that the population seemed stable. I believe that the last reliable 30-day census I conducted with the census addon showed the Pyrewood cluster having an active population of 7-8k characters. I think that must have been around May or so? As I started to spend somewhat less time in game, my scans became less frequent and less reliable, so I didn't think too much of my scan numbers going down again at the same time.

The other day someone pointed out to me though that our cluster's official population had dropped from medium back down to low, which made me a bit sad. Mind you, it doesn't feel significantly diminished in game. There are still more people signing up for raids than there is room for, and Org and LFG chat seem reasonably lively at all times. It's just... a little less I guess.

My initial guess was that hardcore had taken a chunk out of the regular PvE population, seeing how it's a PvE-only mode (I myself gave it a go too, after all), and maybe that was true in the beginning, but we do seem to have entered a slight slump in population for all modes at this point, at least from what I can see on the European servers. Even the ever-popular PvP cluster has been downgraded from "full" to "high" again. The two hardcore servers have also mellowed out since launch. Initially they were both marked as "full", but now Stitches is down to "high" and Nek'rosh even to "medium".

The reason I'm writing all this down is not to discourage anyone from playing or to give off any "OMG, the game is dying" vibes, but because I'm curious to see how things will develop in the coming weeks. I think that Season of Discovery will be massive, but it will likely cannibalise both era and hardcore at least initially. Again, I'm fully planning to at least check it out, and a few people from my guild are planning to do the same.

At the same time, I don't expect it to be as much of a rival to the regular servers as Season of Mastery was. After all, that was shortly after mainline Classic had progressed into Burning Crusade, and the number of people who wanted to go backward instead of forward was very small. Also, SoM's sales pitch was something along the lines of "fresh Vanilla servers with some improvements", which I think put it into more direct competition with the "old" era servers. Season of Discovery on the other hand is openly promising a very different experience, which I'm sure will be interesting, but I don't think it'll scratch that Vanilla itch the same way the era or even the hardcore servers do.

Also, I suspect that we'll see another influx of fresh blood to the Vanilla Classic servers of all persuasions once Cata Classic launches early next year, as some of those for whom that is "a step too far" will want to return to their old, familiar haunts in the old world, just like I did myself when BC Classic's end was in sight.

There are currently no plans for Wrath era servers - much to the disappointment of some. I completely understand how they feel, and there was a period where I wondered whether WotLK's popularity might generate enough of a push for the creation of Wrath era servers despite Blizzard's disinterest in doing the same for BC, but looking at it right now, it seems increasingly unlikely to me. While there are definitely more people posting in favour of era servers than there were for BC, the subject is still flying pretty under the radar compared to other concerns, and it doesn't look like the campaign will reach the kind of critical mass needed to get Blizzard to reconsider.

3 comments:

  1. In NA the Era clusters have dropped to Medium and the HC servers down to one Medium and one High. I suspect that the opening up of ICC had an impact with these "downgrades", but then again the Era cluster I'm on is lively enough as it is.

    Like you, I don't really see Wrath Era servers moving forward. Blizz had their chance to say "yes", but they chose instead to say "no unless you can prove it to me". Given that there's no hard metric to provide to say what the "prove it to me" means, my guess is that they'll just roll out seasonal servers on an ongoing basis while riding the Cataclysm Classic train.

    I do think that Cataclysm Classic will have a burst of activity due to curiosity, but that the interest will plummet really fast. As Grimmtooth pointed out, if you want to see the Cataclysm zones, you can go to Retail. For the most part they've been left intact.

    I wonder... Will people abandon the Classic train and opt instead for Wrath Era private servers? I guess we'll find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think many people who still play Wrath Classic are all that fussed about the old world at this point (Grimmtooh being the exception, obviously 😛). They got their fill of levelling 1-60 previously; now they just want Joyous Journeys to get them to endgame more quickly. And if that's your focus, the levelling being changed up and becoming more efficient is not a bad thing.

      I'm sure some people will go back to private servers, but I doubt it'll make enough of a dent to move the needle for Blizzard. I suspect that many who don't like Cata will simply give Season of Discovery a go instead.

      Delete
  2. Underlying reasons I am looking forward to Cata:

    Level up enough so our group can go back an do the Wrath raids as a group of five.

    I want to play Mists of Pandaria in its launch state.

    I am still looking forward to Cata Classic, but I will confess there are other motivations.

    ReplyDelete