12/07/2024

Fifteen Years of WoW Blogging

I haven't been very good at keeping track of milestones on this blog. Partially I think this is due to the fact that I'd only been posting for a little over three years by the time that I originally decided to step away from WoW. After this the blog lay fallow for a while, even if it never went completely quiet (I'd still find excuses to occasionally comment on BlizzCon announcements and stuff like that), and it seemed odd to celebrate so-and-so many years of blogging when I hadn't really done all that much for a good chunk of those years.

This year I remembered to make a note in advance though... that today, the blog turns fifteen years old. What a crazy ride it's been. I thought it would be fun to look back on those years a bit.

When I started this blog in July 2009, I was 26 years old, working a part-time job in a bakery and still living in Austria with my mother, though I was saving up to relocate to the UK and move in with my then-boyfriend (whom I'd met in WoW, of course) at the end of the year. World of Warcraft was probably close to the peak of its popularity with its Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Blogging was quite popular as well, and blogging about WoW was a solid niche.

I'd been reading and leaving comments on other people's WoW blogs for a while (many of which have sadly been lost to time since then), and finally figured that it was time to set up my own space to share my thoughts about the game. My very first post was about heroic Oculus, which was certainly... a choice. In those early days I had a lot of free time and not much else going on in my life, so I posted 12-20 times a month, which seems slightly insane to me now, looking back at it as a 41-year-old with a full time job.

It's hard to summarise all those posts in a few sentences as I wrote about a lot of different subjects. I guess one thing I can say is that my posts were perhaps slightly shorter on average than they are nowadays, and I didn't seem to have as many reservations about just how much "meat" there needed to be to a topic to make it worth its own little post. I wrote about random game mechanics I liked and disliked, good pugs and bad pugs (I spent so much time pugging dungeons back then), raiding with my guild, commented on WoW-related news, and talked about pieces of gear I liked. I basically just really enjoyed the game and almost every aspect of it. I wrote about day one of the dungeon finder, which honestly feels like something of a historical document at this point. At the end of the year, I went through with my plan to move to the UK.

I spent most of 2010 unemployed, and therefore continued to have a lot of time to play and blog, maintaining my cadence of publishing a post pretty much every other day. I continued to write about the same kinds of things, though I think if you look closely, you can see a slow decline in the amount of joy I expressed. There were fewer happy stories, and more rants about inconsiderate pugs and changes I didn't like. Plus my guild wasn't doing so well either. Incidentally, WoW did help me get a job in November though - that post was also the first time I heard of reddit, as someone linked it there and I went to investigate the source of that sudden traffic spike.

At the end of the year, the Cataclysm came, and my boyfriend's physical copy of the expansion got lost in the mail. (If I remember correctly, Amazon refunded him but then the parcel randomly showed up in May the next year or something.) The new content gave me a lot to talk about, something that lasted into 2011.

However, somehow things weren't quite the same. I still posted quite a lot that year, but 12 posts a month went from being my lower limit to being my upper one, with the average being closer to 8. I posted about lacking lustre in February, and nostalgia and doubts in July. When Mists of Pandaria was announced, I was decidedly underwhelmed. I stepped down from raiding and focused on my rated battleground team instead, which brought with it a brief revival of the joy I used to feel when playing. But then Star Wars: The Old Republic came out, and my interest in WoW just petered out. I only made 6 posts in 2012, the last of which was me declaring that I was done with the game and retiring the blog. Funny how that worked out, isn't it?

I did indeed not post for more than one and a half years after that, but things changed in my real life during that time. I broke up with my boyfriend (insert some snarky comment about how he was my "WoW boyfriend" so naturally I had dump him when I stopped playing) and started a relationship with the guy who I'm now married to. This included moving house and being unemployed again, which was not so great. As my new love scrambled to find ways to keep me from being too depressed by the circumstances, we ended up realising that he'd also used to play WoW at one point, and we rolled up a new pair of alts at the end of 2013 to check out the changes since both of us had last played. This ended up keeping us busy a few months into 2014, but it wasn't long until we both lost interest in the game again, so I only got a little over a dozen posts out of the whole adventure. In real life, I also got a full time job a couple of months later.

The next revival of the blog came from an unexpected source in mid-2015, as Nostalrius took the private server scene by storm and really made the whole concept of going back to Vanilla go mainstream. I actually never played there myself, as I rolled up on its much smaller competitor Kronos instead. That was super exciting for about a month or ten posts, but then my interest flagged again... though not so much due to lack of appeal this time and more a general lack of time to engage with multiple MMOs at once. At the end of the year I posted about BlizzCon (and shared a video by some medium-sized YouTuber I'd found, called Asmongold) and felt an urge to get back into the saddle on Kronos. I continued to post about my private server adventures at a rate of a couple of posts per month throughout 2016.

By 2017 my enthusiasm for that was starting to dry up again though. I'd left Kronos the previous year since I couldn't stand life at max level on a PvP server, and there always seemed to be something wrong with every other server I tried, so I only made about half a dozen posts throughout most of the year. That November of course was when Blizzard officially announced Classic. I made a few posts related to that in a flurry of initial excitement, and then set in for a long wait until Classic's release, only checking in with the blog occasionally throughout 2018.

The release of Classic in August 2019 is when I feel the blog was revived "properly", as that's when I started posting several times a month again (even if I only made half a dozen posts or less, it was still more and more regular than I'd been for the last seven years before that). I was all in on playing Classic on Horde side for more than six months, followed by me levelling a night elf on an RP server by myself, but I did start to feel the doldrums a bit by spring of 2020 as I didn't have any real friends left to play with.

Through a series of fortunate events, I ended up joining a pug raid in August, and found myself recruited into a great guild shortly afterwards. I also ended up checking out retail again for the first time in more than six years. Hanging out and raiding with my Classic guild - plus an increase in working from home time due to the pandemic - carried me through most of 2021, though things started to go a bit pear-shaped during Classic Burning Crusade as the vibe of the guild changed and Blizzard decided to soft-close the server I was on by enabling free transfers.

I got a few more months of enjoyment out of that expansion in 2022, but my guild eventually folded and when it became clear that there would be no BC era servers, I felt I was done with Classic as it was. I decided to try my luck on Classic era instead and once again fell in with a great guild, though I also kept playing retail on the side and got excited for the Dragonflight expansion.

Throughout 2023, I continued to post about my adventures on Classic era, mixed with posts about retail, which started to gain more ground. Changes at my work meant that raiding with my era guild didn't really work anymore and I had to give up on that, which provided even more of an incentive to focus on retail with my husband and some friends instead. I also tried out Hardcore when it launched, and got excited about Season of Discovery in December.

Sadly, that excitement didn't carry over into 2024 for more than two months, so since then it's mostly been retail with the occasional dip into one of the Classic modes sprinkled in here and there. We'll see where things go from here, but it's certainly been one hell of a journey.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the milestone! That is a lot of blogging... and you have another blog too.

    You are, btw, now the same age I was when I started my blog. I kind of wish blogs had been a thing when I was 26. I would have liked to see what I would have written back when I was starting to play TorilMUD or the first iteration of Gemstone back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Maybe the best is yet to come then! 😉

      I in turn find myself wishing I'd started blogging about WoW earlier too, so I could look back at what I thought about it in the early days. I did keep a personal dairy back then actually and mentioned WoW occasionally, but often those entries were honestly rather weird and don't tell me much about the game itself. Stuff like "I was in Loch Modan and started talking to this guy and it turned out we both knew Latin". Though I have considered porting some of that content into this blog anyway, just to have all the WoW memories in one place I guess...

      Delete
  2. gz. And keep them coming, it is interesting to see information from people playing all versions of WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's really nice to hear actually! As I do worry sometimes that it might be off-putting to readers if all they care about is one specific version. I genuinely think that every version of WoW has something unique and interesting to offer at this point though, and playing more than one helps a lot with preventing the kind of myopia I often see in places like reddit, such as when Classic-only players call everything they don't like "retail-like" - even if the feature in question is nothing like retail!

      Delete
  3. Happy blogoversary! In the US, your blog is almost eligible to drive (in Ohio you can get a learner's permit at 15 1/2 years).

    Now we need to track down Tam and Larisa and have them post congrats here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 15th blog anniversary. :) It is cool to see blogs like yours continue to be active.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grats! Fifteen years is a long time in blogging... or anything, pretty much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! At this point, regular blogging has been part of my life for longer than my day job or any of my romantic relationships...

      Delete
  6. Congratulation on 15 years! That’s quite an accomplishment. I read and enjoy your posts regularly though I don’t comment often. Most enjoyable, here’s to 15 more! Atheren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've enjoyed reading about your Classic adventures too. 🙂

      Delete
  7. Congrats! It seems to have been quite the journey, and it has been wonderful to be part of it for a while in Classic. I kind of disenchanted with it myself, partway through TBC, and ended up ducking out for the entirety during WotLK. I returned a while back - as you know - right when Cata was released. It instantly felt a bit weird to me, so I went to Era instead.

    I'm loving it here so far; the people are great and the whole game has a relaxing, almost meditative feel to it. Sadly, it seems SoD changes have started to bleed over to Era, so the future of this version of WoW feels a bit uncertain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Era is definitely an underappreciated little haven! Especially the PvE servers, as people complain about things like GDKPs and massive gold inflation on the PvP servers, but it's not really an issue in the same way over here.

      That latest set of weird little changes is actually going to be the subject of my next post.

      Delete
    2. It definitely feels like it could be the beginning of the end for Era, as I fear these SoD changes will continue to seep through. :/

      Delete
  8. Congrats, that‘s quite a milestone!

    ReplyDelete